1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan- or if you have a 9-inch springform pan or cake pan, I’d go w/ that instead.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon into a bowl. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer (hand or stand version), beat the eggs on high speed until very thick, about 5 minutes. Gradually beat in the granulated sugar.
4. Reduce speed to low, and beat in the flour mixture alternatively with the whipping cream into the eggs, beginning and ending with the flour. Stir in vanilla.
5. Pour into the pan and bake until the top springs back when touched lightly, about 35-40 minutes. Watch closely- you don’t want to over-bake or it will be dry.
6. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the hot cake, cut into squares or wedges. Serve with ice cream, if desired.