|MOLTEN CHOCOLATE CAKES
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for ring molds
12 ounces semisweet chocolate
5 large eggs, separated
10 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
6 Chocolate Truffles (recipe follows)
Chocolate curls, for garnish
1. Butter six ring molds measuring 2½ inches high and 2-1/4 inches in diameter. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and set aside.
2. Place the chocolate and butter in a medium heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, and heat until melted. Stir mixture to combine.
3. Combine the egg yolks and 6 tablespoons sugar in a large bowl, and whisk until mixture is pale yellow and thick, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract. Add the chocolate mixture to egg-yolk mixture, and stir to combine.
4. Place the egg whites in the bowl of an
electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and beat until frothy.
Add the remaining 4 tablespoons sugar, and whisk until stiff peaks form.
Fold egg white mixture into chocolate mixture.
5. Spoon about ¼ cup batter into each ring, and place a truffle in the center of each. Spoon the remaining batter over the truffles, and place in the freezer to set, at least 1 hour.
6. Preheat the oven to 350°. Transfer
the baking sheet with the filled ring molds to the oven, and bake cakes
for 20 to 25 minutes, or until sides are set but center is still soft.
Using a thin spatula, carefully transfer the cakes (still in the ring molds)
to a serving plate. Lift the ring molds, and remove them. Serve the cakes
warm with a good vanilla ice cream, and garnish with chocolate curls, if
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
3/4 cup heavy cream
Place the chocolate in a medium heat-proof
bowl. Bring the heavy cream to a boil in a small saucepan, and pour over
the chocolate. Let sit for 5 minutes, and stir until thoroughly combined.
Place the mixture in the freezer until set, about 45 minutes, stirring
every 15 minutes. Divide the mixture into six equal parts, and roll each
into a ball. Cover truffles with plastic wrap; freeze until ready to use.