|Adding both caramelized onion rings and apples are scrumptious additions to this traditional German meal.|
• 6 slices bacon, diced
• 2 Tbsp oil
• 4 pork chops, 1 inch thick
• 1 large onion, sliced
• 1 - 2 apples, peeled and coarsely chopped (optional)
• 28 oz canned sauerkraut, drained
• 1 Tbsp brown sugar (optional)
• ½ tsp dry mustard (optional)
• ½ - 1 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
• ¼ tsp pepper
• ¼ cup water
• Preheat the oven to 350° F.
• Meanwhile, put diced bacon into a cold saucepan. Bring heat up to high and cook bacon till is nicely browned and fat has been rendered out. Remove browned bacon to a large bowl.
• Brown pork chops in bacon fat in saucepan. Add oil if needed. Remove once browned.
• Add onions to saucepan and cook until nicely caramelized. Remove the onions to a separate bowl.
• Add the chopped apples to the saucepan and briefly cook.
• Add the drained sauerkraut to the bacon bits in the bowl. Add the apples and the remaining ingredients. Mix well. Put into a casserole dish.
• Place the browned pork chops on top of the sauerkraut mixture.
• Divide caramelized onions on top of the chops.
• Cover and bake for about 45 minutes. Remove cover and continue baking for 15 minutes.