Red and Yellow Pepper Soup
· 8 red peppers
8 yellow peppers
1/4 cup butter
2 shallot, sliced
2 large russet potato, peeled and diced, about 2 cups
6 cups chicken stock
4 sprigs thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
· Heat oven to 350F. Cover sheet pan with aluminum foil, put whole peppers on prepared pan andcook for 40 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking. Put cooked peppers in a bowl and sealtightly with plastic wrap. Let sit for 30 minutes. Peel peppers, remove and discard seeds.
· Meanwhile, heat butter in a medium straight-sided skillet over medium-low heat. Add shallot and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add diced potatoes, chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer 20 minutes, until potatoes are soft.
· Remove thyme sprigs from potato mixture and puree soup base. Remove half the base; add yellow peppers and puree. Remove and keep warm. Add remaining soup base and red peppers; puree. Serve soup warm.
· TIP: Use a single soup base to make two different soups to insure consistency is the same so the can poured .
· TIP: Roasting peppers in oven using relatively low heat is the best way to keep the colors vibrant.
· TIP: You can also use canned roasted peppers. Since they are packed in an acidic brine, be sure to rinse before using.
· TIP: To serve, pour both soups into a bowl simultaneously, on opposite sides of the bowl. If desired, use a toothpick to create a more intricate design.